Barisal is otherwise known as the "Venice of Bengal" is one of the oldest municipalities and river ports in Bangladesh. It stands on the bank of the Kirtonkhola river. The small charming city of Barisal has a busy port and an off-the-beat track journey here makes for a wonderfully authentic riverine experience. The maze of waterways, luxuriously green farmland and quiet village life make it a beautiful place to travel around.
Barisal is otherwise known as the "Venice ofBengal" is one of the oldest municipalities and river ports in Bangladesh.It stands on the bank of the Kirtonkhola river. The small charming city ofBarisal has a busy port and an off-the-beat track journey here makes for awonderfully authentic riverine experience. The maze of waterways, luxuriouslygreen farmland and quiet village life make it a beautiful place to travelaround.
Places to visit in Barisal:
1. LeberChor: This exquisitely beautiful place is located 5km eastof Kuakata beach. Several species of trees such as Keora, Gewa, Korai cover 100acres of labor Chor. One can reach Kuakata via a motorboat and then travel tolabor Chor.
2. HaringhataTourism center: It is located to the south ofPatharghata Upazila of Barguna district. This natural heaven is a sanctuary ofdeer, monkeys, and birds.
3. KurianaFloating market: Located in Pirojpur, the age-oldfloating market is fascinating. It has gradually become a hub for all sorts ofproduce and agricultural products. The main fruit that is sold is guava andevery year this place buzzes with tourists from across the country.
4. DurgaSagar: Considered to be the largest pond in southernBangladesh, the Durga Sagar Dighi is located in Babuganj Upazila of Barisal. In1780, the pond was excavated by Rani Durgabati to reduce water scarcity in thearea. This enormous water body is surrounded by various trees and thousands ofmigratory birds throng this place in winter.
5. BaitulAman Jame Masjid: Known to the locals as Guthia masjid,the Baitual Aman Jame Masjid is situated in Uzirpur Upazila, which is about17km from Barisal city. The masjid is surrounded by a pond in the right and anorphanage to the North. On the south side of the main masjid is a tower about193 feet high. There is a beautiful calligraphy covering the masjid building.
Hotels: Barisalhas many hotels, restaurants, and rest-houses. The quality and service dependon the price charged by the hotels.
· Hotel Purnima- Katapotti Road
· Hotel Ali International- Sadar Road
· Hotel Jeelani- South Sport
· Hotel Paradise
· Hotel Imperial-Ghetto churches
· Amiri-Sadar Road
· Hotel Oriental Magpie Robin-Beauty Road
· Golden Inn-Enayetur Rahman Road
· Hotel eastern- Sagaradi
· Hotel Guest-Port Road
Ø Airlinesflying from Dhaka to Barisal include:
· Biman Bangladesh
· Vintage Props and jets
Ø Itapproximately takes 40 minutes to reach Barisal from Dhaka
Ø The best days to bookflights from Dhaka to Saidpur are Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays
Your first-hand experiences really help other travelers. Thanks!